City boss Roberto Mancini will be confident of progression to the FA Cup fifth round as Notts County visit Eastlands on Sunday.
But the blues boss will be aware of the fact that County knocked put City’s fellow Premier League side Sunderland in round three at The Stadium Of Light. And the Italian will also be aware of City’s previous meeting with County’s city rivals Forest two years ago, who arrived in Manchester and thumped the blues 3-0.
City are unbeaten in 10 league and cup games against County, winning seven and drawing three of those games, but the visitors will be hoping to become the first team from the third tier of English football to knock the blues out of the competition, a feat that hasn’t been achieved since Oldham beat the blues 1-0 at Boundary Park in 2005.
County knocked City out of the FA Cup in 1991, when Gary Lund scored the only goal of their fifth round clash at Meadow Lane. But they have struggled recently and a 2-0 home win over Colchester in midweek ended their six match winless run.
The winners of this game will be rewarded with a home fixture against Aston Villa in the fifth round. That match will be played on Wednesday 2nd March.
Striker Mario Balotelli may get a run out against County, along with winger Shaun Wright-Phillips. But Nigel de Jong and James Milner are doubtful for the game with an ankle injury and hamstring problem respectively.
Lee Chivers will be available following a knee injury while Lewis Gobern has recovered from a thigh injury suffered against Exeter.
City (from): Hart, Given, Richards, Zabaleta, Boateng, Kompany, Lescott, K Toure, Kolarov, Barry, Vieira, Milner, De Jong, Y Toure, Wright-Phillips, Silva, Balotelli, Tevez, Dzeko, Jo, Razak, Guidetti.
Notts County (from): Nelson, Edwards, Harley, Darby, Pearce, Bishop, Clifford, Ravenhill, Hughes, Burgess, Westcarr, Gow, Hawley, Burch, Thompson, Lee, Martin, Gobern, Smith
Prediction: City have won the last five games at home and although nothing can be guaranteed in the Cup, the blues will have too much strength and class to progress.
City 3-0 Notts County
Agree or disagree? Let us now your thoughts
- Kylian Mbappe on the bench for PSG
- ‘What a man, I am in love as a person’ – Guardiola on Aguero
- Guardiola may be the ‘greatest manager of all time’ – Neville
- Kevin De Bruyne returns to start in cup final
- Manchester City out of the European Super League
- Man City fans hang anti-ESL banners outside the Etihad
- David Bernstein ‘ashamed’ with City for supporting European Super League
- Kevin De Bruyne ruled out of Aston Villa clash
- ‘Are you ready Mbappe?’ – Phil Foden sends risky tweet
- Guardiola lauds his side for ‘building history’ after City beat Dortmund