City could be set for another summer battle with David Moyes and Everton following rumours the blues are set to make a £20m offer for midfielder Mikel Arteta.
Last summer, the two clubs were embroiled in a bitter war over defender Joleon Lescott’s transfer to Eastlands, with Everton continually rebuffing City’s advances for the defender before finally agreeing to sell for a figure between £25m and £28m. The Everton boss later condemned City’s relentless pursuit as ‘disgusting.’
The blues are in the hunt for a creative midfielder and have already had a bid for Aston Villa’s James Milner turned down and the club are reportedly weighing up a second bid for the England man but may turn to the uncapped Spaniard instead.
Arteta has made 143 appearance for Everton, scoring 23 goals in six seasons at Goodison and the Spaniard has also been linked with a move to Arsenal as a possible replacement for Barcelona bound Cesc Fabregas but, just as in the James Milner case, City are set to make the first move.
Everton have moved quickly to tie down their best players this summer by offering stars such as Tim Cahill and Jack Rodwell further contracts and hope Arteta will follow.
But with the blues ready to throw another huge sum towards the Merseysiders and an offer of a large increase in wages, City will be hopeful of landing the player which may allow Stephen Ireland to have his wish granted and leave the club.
What do you think? Is Arteta the answer or should we pursue Milner?
- Wolves vs Manchester City preview
- Kevin de Bruyne insists retaining the Premier League title is difficult
- Manchester City attacker Bernardo Silva suffers injury on international duty
- Manchester City’s start to the 2020/21 Premier League season analysed
- Manchester City Transfer roundup: Kalidou Koulibaly pursuit, Jack Grealish interest
- Manchester City vs Tottenham – 20 April 2019 – Live Blog
- Should City offload Zinchenko?
- Mendy giving City a new dimension in attack
- Can Manchester City continue winning run against Arsenal?
- Why aren’t Man City making an official bid for Pjanic?