Craig Bellamy’s City future looks even more shrouded in doubt as the striker was omitted from City’s European squad.
The Wales striker had claimed he would consider giving up football if he didn’t make City’s 25 man squad for the new season and manager Roberto Mancini has left his out of his first European squad, but has only named 23 players out of a possible 25.
But the boss has named injury prone striker Roque Santa Cruz and Brazilian misfit Robinho in his squad, giving a clear indication that he may name them in his Premier League squad at the expense of Bellamy and Stephen Ireland, who has also been omitted.
Ireland looks ever closer to leaving City and was expected to be part of the deal which could bring James Milner to Eastlands, but that deal is in the balance at the moment due to Martin O’Neill’s surprise resignation as Villa manager, but his absence from the side could be an indication that a deal involving the Irishman could still be on the cards.
Bellamy meanwhile, remains a target for Spurs, who were also interested in the striker before he joined City in January 2009 by former boss Mark Hughes and also admitted that he turned down an approach from Wolfsburg as he ‘didn’t fancy Germany.’
As well as Bellamy and Ireland, new boy David Silva was also left out of the squad to face the Romanians.
City’s European Squad:
Given, Hart, Taylor; Richards, Boateng, Zabaleta, Kolo Toure, Lescott, Logan, Bridge, Kolarov; Wright-Phillips, Adam Johnson, Yaya Toure, Michael Johnson, Barry, Vieira, Kompany, de Jong; Adebayor, Robinho, Santa Cruz, Tevez
- Guardiola killed my confidence says RB Leipzig defender Angelino
- Bernardo Silva lauds ‘Amazing’ Joao Cancelo after Champions League display vs Monchengladbach
- Pep Guardiola praises City’s resurgent star after Everton victory
- Three Man City players with a point to prove against Tottenham Hotspur
- Pep Guardiola set to reward John Stones with new contract after the Englishman’s impressive season
- Gabriel Jesus reveals plans to return to Brazil in the future
- Premier League preview: Liverpool vs Manchester City
- Manchester City lining up Erling Braut Haaland as Sergio Aguero’s replacement
- Joao Cancelo: from an expensive reserve to an integral cog in Guardiola’s Manchester City machine
- City youngster Jayden Braaf completes loan deal to Udinese for the rest of the season