Adam Johnson has shrugged off criticism of his form and his hoping to start against his boyhood club Newcastle on Sunday.
The winger returned to the City line up and scored a well taken goal on Thursday night to cancel out Juventus’ tenth minute opener and was a constant threat to the Italians.
And Johnson has revealed he has held talks with City manager Bobby Mancini which have helped keep his City career going strong. “’I’ve had a chat with the manager and it’s between me and him what was said. I want to be playing in every game so hopefully I’ll start against Newcastle on Sunday tomorrow.”
The 23 year old became Mancini’s second January signing as City manager and the Italian has apparently told him he must provide a certain number of assists and goals this season and his goal against Juventus was his first in front of the home supporters.
Johnson’s form has been under the spotlight recently, leading some to believe he’d lost focus after goals in England’s World Cup qualifiers against Bulgaria and Switzerland, but the winger shrugs off the comments. “A lot has been made of it but it hasn’t affected me. I just get on with it, get my head down. It didn’t really faze me to be honest.”
Apart from paying £12,000 to go on a date with Katie Price which would be enough to disturb any sane manager, Mancini was apparently more concerned about other incidents and it has recently emerged that the winger was a target when Mancini stated there needed to be a ‘change of mentality.’
However, former City right back Danny Mills claims Johnson doesn’t have the full backing of Mancini. “Johnson is a fantastic player. He’s the only person in England who is a true winger,” says Mills, before adding “My only worry is he’s not a Mancini type player. I’m not sure Mancini likes him because he will take the odd risk, he will give the ball away and I think he may struggle to get a regular start which would be a massive shame.”
So Danny, if Johnson isn’t a Mancini type of player, why did the Italian sign him in January?
What do you think? Will Johnson be able to keep his feet on the ground? Is Danny Mills just the latest former player to have a dig at the club? Let us know your thoughts.
- ‘Are you ready Mbappe?’ – Phil Foden sends risky tweet
- Guardiola lauds his side for ‘building history’ after City beat Dortmund
- Manchester City to have 2000 fans at Carabao Cup final
- Guardiola defends his team selection after shock defeat
- Guardiola happy for Aguero to stay in England
- BT Sport pundits discuss Haaland’s potential move to Manchester City next season
- Kevin De Bruyne signs new contract until 2025
- Pep Guardiola defends official after bizarre Haaland incident
- Man City to go all out to seal place in semi-final in return leg warns Pep Guardiola
- Guardiola praises ‘exceptional’ Haaland ahead of Dortmund clash