After seven successive league draws, some against sides whose point gained against City could mean Premiership survival, a domestic cup competition saw the side refocused and playing good football. Manchester City’s focus on the League Cup has in fact paid off.
The first half was a dour affair, but second half wonder goals from Carlos Tevez and SWP as well as a nice finish by Vladamir Weiss gave the Blues passage to the clubs first Cup semifinal since 1981. In recent years City has come close to making the semifinals of a major cup, reaching the Quartfinals of the FA Cup in 2007 and the UEFA Cup last Spring.
Much more later on the upcominf two leg semifinal tie with Manchester United.
- Ederson urges the Premier League to bring in concussion substitutes
- City chased by Chelsea and United for Dennis Zakaria
- Big blow for Man City – Barcelona presidential candidate Laporta confident of Messi stay
- Guardiola lays down the roadmap for City’s clash against Porto
- Ederson stakes claim: I’m the best penalty taker at Man City
- Pep rules out including academy players against Porto
- Pep Guardiola: Joao Cancelo has made an incredible impact this season
- Stones leapfrogs Garcia in Man City’s defensive order
- Gabriel Jesus happy to give up records for European success with Man City
- Guardiola rejects any idea of resting players