The blues take on Stoke for the third time in eight weeks and will face The Potteries again next Wednesday in the FA Cup replay.
City have travelled to Stoke 40 times since their first meeting in at the Victoria Ground in 1899. That game ended in a 1-0 win for Stoke.
Since then, the blues have visited Stoke another 39 times in the league and have lost 24 games in total, winning only ten. Their only meeting in the Premier League came last season when the blues lost 1-0, a win that helped Stoke survive their first Premiership season.
The majority of their meetings came in the old first division, when 33 games were played at Stoke. City won seven of those losing and losing twenty. The record gets worse for City. During the war years, the teams played ten times at Stoke and City failed to record a single victory, drawing two and losing eight.
The two have met five times in cup competitions; twice in the FA Cup and three times in the League Cup. City have won one and lost one in the FA Cup and still await their first victory at Stoke in the League Cup, drawing one and losing two.
Overall, from 55 games played, City have won just 11 to Stoke’s 35. Goal wise, Stoke have a clear lead, scoring 98 times to City’s 46.
City’s Record At Stoke
|First Division (Old)||33||7||6||20||26||55|
|Second Division (Old)||3||1||0||2||4||6|
|First Division (New)||2||1||0||1||6||4|
|Second Division (New)||1||1||0||0||1||0|
Interesting But Useless Facts
City’s biggest win at Stoke came in May 1998 when the blues won 5-2.
Stoke have inflicted two 5-0 defeats on City, their heaviest losses at Stoke to date.
Stoke are one of the oldest football clubs in the world. They were founded in 1863. Only Notts County are older. So who did Notts County play against?
Stoke were the first team to finish bottom of the table when the Football League began in 1888.
To ensure their dominance of the league’s worst team, they did it again the following season.
- Wolves vs Manchester City preview
- Kevin de Bruyne insists retaining the Premier League title is difficult
- Manchester City attacker Bernardo Silva suffers injury on international duty
- Manchester City’s start to the 2020/21 Premier League season analysed
- Manchester City Transfer roundup: Kalidou Koulibaly pursuit, Jack Grealish interest
- Manchester City vs Tottenham – 20 April 2019 – Live Blog
- Should City offload Zinchenko?
- Mendy giving City a new dimension in attack
- Can Manchester City continue winning run against Arsenal?
- Why aren’t Man City making an official bid for Pjanic?