City have met Scunthorpe just five times with the blues coming out on top on each occasion.
The two teams first met in the old second division at Maine Road on Boxing Day 1963 when the blues thrashed the visitors 8-1 with two hat-tricks being scored. A crowd of just over 26,000 witnessed this clash. Just two days later, the blues travelled to Scunthorpe where they completed a league double by winning 4-2.
Those meetings were the only league clashes between the two, with the other three being in cup competitions. In 1974, the blues met Scunthorpe at Maine Road in the League Cup second round where the blues comprehensively beat their opponents 6-0, Colin Bell grabbing a hat-trick.
There would then be a wait of 32 years before the teams would meet again. This time it was at Eastlands in the FA Cup and despite going behind, City came back with Robbie Fowler’s only hat-trick for City as the blues won through 3-1. The last meeting was in October 2009 when City won 5-1 to secure a place in the League Cup quarter final against Arsenal.
From the five meetings, four have been at City while just the one has been at Scunthorpe. Sunday’s game will be the first cup tie played there.
In total, City have scored 26 goals to Scunthorpe’s 5, with 22 being scored at home.
- Guardiola praises West Ham as City win again
- Guardiola killed my confidence says RB Leipzig defender Angelino
- Bernardo Silva lauds ‘Amazing’ Joao Cancelo after Champions League display vs Monchengladbach
- Pep Guardiola praises City’s resurgent star after Everton victory
- Three Man City players with a point to prove against Tottenham Hotspur
- Pep Guardiola set to reward John Stones with new contract after the Englishman’s impressive season
- Gabriel Jesus reveals plans to return to Brazil in the future
- Premier League preview: Liverpool vs Manchester City
- Manchester City lining up Erling Braut Haaland as Sergio Aguero’s replacement
- Joao Cancelo: from an expensive reserve to an integral cog in Guardiola’s Manchester City machine