City have met Scunthorpe just five times with the blues coming out on top on each occasion.
The two teams first met in the old second division at Maine Road on Boxing Day 1963 when the blues thrashed the visitors 8-1 with two hat-tricks being scored. A crowd of just over 26,000 witnessed this clash. Just two days later, the blues travelled to Scunthorpe where they completed a league double by winning 4-2.
Those meetings were the only league clashes between the two, with the other three being in cup competitions. In 1974, the blues met Scunthorpe at Maine Road in the League Cup second round where the blues comprehensively beat their opponents 6-0, Colin Bell grabbing a hat-trick.
There would then be a wait of 32 years before the teams would meet again. This time it was at Eastlands in the FA Cup and despite going behind, City came back with Robbie Fowler’s only hat-trick for City as the blues won through 3-1. The last meeting was in October 2009 when City won 5-1 to secure a place in the League Cup quarter final against Arsenal.
From the five meetings, four have been at City while just the one has been at Scunthorpe. Sunday’s game will be the first cup tie played there.
In total, City have scored 26 goals to Scunthorpe’s 5, with 22 being scored at home.
- Big blow for Man City – Barcelona presidential candidate Laporta confident of Messi stay
- Guardiola lays down the roadmap for City’s clash against Porto
- Ederson stakes claim: I’m the best penalty taker at Man City
- Pep rules out including academy players against Porto
- Pep Guardiola: Joao Cancelo has made an incredible impact this season
- Stones leapfrogs Garcia in Man City’s defensive order
- Gabriel Jesus happy to give up records for European success with Man City
- Guardiola rejects any idea of resting players
- Riyad Mahrez admits City’s woes in front of goal have been frustrating
- Txiki Begiristain: We are really happy with Pep’s commitment