With City travelling to Salzburg for the Europa League group opener, Man City Blog takes a look at the opposition and tried to discover what is in store for the blues in Austria.
Red Bull Salzburg was formerly known as SV Austria Salzburg until Red Bull bought the club in 2005 and promptly changed their name. The club was founded in 1933 and have changed their name several times over the years. In 1978, they became SV Casino Salzburg before becoming SV Wustenrot Salzburg 19 years later. All the while, fans have still referred to the club as Austria Salzburg.
The club play in the Austrian Bundesliga, where they have been Champions for two seasons in succession but have failed to impress in Europe since reaching the UEFA Cup final in 1994.
In 2006, Italian Geovanni Trappatoni was confirmed as manager of the club, winning league in his first season before leaving to become Republic of Ireland manager two years later. His successor, Co Adriaanse lasted a year but also took the club to league success.
Salzburg have struggled in the league and have won just one out of five games, losing two. Like City, they have played two games at home, winning one and drawing the other. The club reached the knock out stages of last season’s Champions League, beaten by Standard Liege. This season, they were knocked out at the play-off stage by Israeli side Hapoel Tel Aviv
Manager – Huub Stevens
Huub Stevens is a former Dutch defender who won 18 caps for his country. He has been in charge of Salzburg since 2009 and led them to another league title in his first season in charge.
Although there are no instantly recognisable players, every one of them will be trying to make a name for themselves on Thursday. One name that does stick out of the Salzburg team is a Brazilian chap by the name of Alan.
Red Bull Arena, formerly known as Wais-Siezenheim. It’s current capacity is 31,895
Salzburg is the fourth largest City in Austria and sits on the banks of the River Salzach in the north of the country.
It is probably most famous for being the birthplace of the 18th century composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
The city was used to film parts of The Sound Of Music
The Population of Salzburg is around 150,000
- Wolves vs Manchester City preview
- Kevin de Bruyne insists retaining the Premier League title is difficult
- Manchester City attacker Bernardo Silva suffers injury on international duty
- Manchester City’s start to the 2020/21 Premier League season analysed
- Manchester City Transfer roundup: Kalidou Koulibaly pursuit, Jack Grealish interest
- Manchester City vs Tottenham – 20 April 2019 – Live Blog
- Should City offload Zinchenko?
- Mendy giving City a new dimension in attack
- Can Manchester City continue winning run against Arsenal?
- Why aren’t Man City making an official bid for Pjanic?