City begin their Carling Cup campaign tonight, eager to put to bed the memory of their last minute semi final defeat at Old Trafford.
But City boss Roberto Mancini has a tough decision to make ahead of the game and will have Saturday’s Premiership clash with Chelsea on his mind. The boss would like to make around six or seven changes for the match at The Hawthorns, but will be unable to do so without weakening his side.
But the blues see the Carling Cup as their best opportunity for silverware this season and won’t want to risk going out at the third round, particularly since he progress they made last year.
West Brom will be hoping to continue their good run against the blues at The Hawthorns. The Baggies have won the last four games in the Black Country against City but may be prepared to put cup success on the back burner as they attempt to stop bouncing between the Premier League and First Division.
Shay Given may be in line for his first game of the season but City may rest striker Carlos Tevez for the match with Jo being a possible replacement. Emmanuel Adebayor may also be rested as Mancini may keep him fresh for Saturday’s game. Wayne Bridge is also in contention to start.
Baggies manager Roberto di Matteo may rest several players ahead of their game against Arsenal at the weekend.
West Bromwich Albion (from): Carson, Tamas, Jara, Olsson, Shorey, Thomas, Barnes, Scharner, Brunt, Reid, Fortune, Dorrans, Odemwingie, Myhill, Ibanez, Bednar, Tchoyi, Zuiverloon, Wood, Cox, Mantom
Manchester City (from): Given, Hart, Richards, Zabaleta, Kompany, K. Toure, Boyata, Cunningham, Wright-Phillips, A. Johnson, de Jong, Vieira, Barry, Y. Toure, Milner, Silva, Tevez, Adebayor, Jo, Santa Cruz
I said at the start of the season City will win this competition this year and that view won’t change.
West Brom 1-3 City
What do you think? Agree with the prediction or have one of your own? Let us know your thoughts
- Wolves vs Manchester City preview
- Kevin de Bruyne insists retaining the Premier League title is difficult
- Manchester City attacker Bernardo Silva suffers injury on international duty
- Manchester City’s start to the 2020/21 Premier League season analysed
- Manchester City Transfer roundup: Kalidou Koulibaly pursuit, Jack Grealish interest
- Manchester City vs Tottenham – 20 April 2019 – Live Blog
- Should City offload Zinchenko?
- Mendy giving City a new dimension in attack
- Can Manchester City continue winning run against Arsenal?
- Why aren’t Man City making an official bid for Pjanic?