Tonight’s UEFA Cup clash between City and Racing will determine whether the Blues can avoid facing a Champions League side in the first knock out round. City has already clinched advancement to the next stage and sits atop Group A with 7 points. However, Steve McLaren’s FC Twente sits a single point behind City and could jump the Blues for first place with a City loss or draw today. That would place City in the unenviable position of facing a Champions League third place team in the next stage.
City will be without Jo and Richard Dunne for this clash limiting Mark Hughes flexibility in submitting his team sheet. Irrespective of the City’s poor league form, winning a UEFA Cup group would be a signature achievement for Hughes so early in his tenure, especially when you consider the number of injuries the manager has had to contend with during this campaign. We’ll have full post game coverage after the match.
- Big blow for Man City – Barcelona presidential candidate Laporta confident of Messi stay
- Guardiola lays down the roadmap for City’s clash against Porto
- Ederson stakes claim: I’m the best penalty taker at Man City
- Pep rules out including academy players against Porto
- Pep Guardiola: Joao Cancelo has made an incredible impact this season
- Stones leapfrogs Garcia in Man City’s defensive order
- Gabriel Jesus happy to give up records for European success with Man City
- Guardiola rejects any idea of resting players
- Riyad Mahrez admits City’s woes in front of goal have been frustrating
- Txiki Begiristain: We are really happy with Pep’s commitment