Aston Villa legend Tony Morley has said James Milner needs to show some loyalty towards the club and resist the urge to join City.
The call from Morley, who won the league title and European Cup with Villa in the early 80’s, comes on the back of the news that Martin O’Neill will ask Milner to stay for another season, echoing the Gareth Barry saga of two seasons ago.
The England man was the subject of a £20m bid from the blues last month and City are reportedly planning an increased bid once England’s participation at the World Cup has ended. But O’Neill will attempt to convince Milner to stay, spurning the advances of City and Chelsea.
Morley believes O’Neill is in a difficult situation, faced with the prospect of either losing his best player or keeping an unhappy player at the club. “What chance has Martin O’Neill got if he keeps losing his best players?” asked Morley. “Martin is in a catch 22 situation. His best player has been offered a massive amount of money but will the club replace him with anyone better?”
Morley also believes Milner needs to show more respect to Villa, as it was the Midlands side who gave his break when they signed him from Newcastle. “If I was James Milner I would stay at the Villa and show some loyalty,” Morley added. “It is Villa who has put him on the platform he is on now. What has happened to loyalty?”
“He has had a great season, got in the England squad and now all of a sudden it seems like he wants to leave because Manchester City have come in. He was saying he was happy at the club a few months ago.”
Milner was replaced after 30 minutes of England’s opening match of the World Cup against USA, ironically by City man Shaun Wright-Phillips, one of four who were apparently on offer to Villa to replace Milner.
- Wolves vs Manchester City preview
- Kevin de Bruyne insists retaining the Premier League title is difficult
- Manchester City attacker Bernardo Silva suffers injury on international duty
- Manchester City’s start to the 2020/21 Premier League season analysed
- Manchester City Transfer roundup: Kalidou Koulibaly pursuit, Jack Grealish interest
- Manchester City vs Tottenham – 20 April 2019 – Live Blog
- Should City offload Zinchenko?
- Mendy giving City a new dimension in attack
- Can Manchester City continue winning run against Arsenal?
- Why aren’t Man City making an official bid for Pjanic?