We’ve got Adam Johnson instead. The young winger has been a revelation since signing from Middlesbrough on the final day of the transfer window and a series of excellent displays has thrust the youngster into the England reckoning for this summer’s World Cup Finals in South Africa.
In 2008, The Brazilian’s arrival was hailed as the start of something big about to happen at Eastlands but the move quickly turned sour but with Johnson joining the side, a strike force of Tevez, Bellamy and Adebayor in such good form and the blues storming into fourth in the league in style, we could almost forget Robinho had ever pulled on a blue shirt.
It was from Johnson’s pinpoint corner that Emmanuel Adebayor opened the floodgates with a thumping drive. And it was Johnson who almost opened the scoring in the first minute but his drive took a deflection and hit the upright.
The winger also provided the corners from which Patrick Vieira scored his first goal in City colours for 4-0 and for Vincent Kompany to wrap up the City scoring in the second half.
After the game, Johnson admitted that he feared the game would be called off because of the weather. “I spoke to the ref a couple of times and asked how long he would give it before calling the game off. He didn’t say anything and just laughed.”
And City’s new star man says the blues could have had more if it wasn’t for the weather. “If the pitch had stayed in the condition it was in the first half, it might have been even more goals,”
The win at Burnley was City’s biggest win of the season and the biggest away win since a 5-2 win at Charlton in 2005.
- Wolves vs Manchester City preview
- Kevin de Bruyne insists retaining the Premier League title is difficult
- Manchester City attacker Bernardo Silva suffers injury on international duty
- Manchester City’s start to the 2020/21 Premier League season analysed
- Manchester City Transfer roundup: Kalidou Koulibaly pursuit, Jack Grealish interest
- Manchester City vs Tottenham – 20 April 2019 – Live Blog
- Should City offload Zinchenko?
- Mendy giving City a new dimension in attack
- Can Manchester City continue winning run against Arsenal?
- Why aren’t Man City making an official bid for Pjanic?