For all the active discussion of how intense the Manchester Derby is, it is the third top flight club from Greater Manchester that has given City the greatest fits over the past five seasons. Today was no different, as Pablo Zabeletta’s sending off for a reckless foul after a strange yellow in the first half, made a draw the best City could hope for.
The Blues still have not won in Wigan since the local club was promoted from the old First Division after the 2004-05 season. Some of City’s worst performances under Stuart Pearce were against Wigan, both home and away. While today’s match was even on the balance of play, as is the norm, the Blues performed significantly worse than they normally do against other opponents.
I’ll have more postmatch thoughts later.
- Guardiola killed my confidence says RB Leipzig defender Angelino
- Bernardo Silva lauds ‘Amazing’ Joao Cancelo after Champions League display vs Monchengladbach
- Pep Guardiola praises City’s resurgent star after Everton victory
- Three Man City players with a point to prove against Tottenham Hotspur
- Pep Guardiola set to reward John Stones with new contract after the Englishman’s impressive season
- Gabriel Jesus reveals plans to return to Brazil in the future
- Premier League preview: Liverpool vs Manchester City
- Manchester City lining up Erling Braut Haaland as Sergio Aguero’s replacement
- Joao Cancelo: from an expensive reserve to an integral cog in Guardiola’s Manchester City machine
- City youngster Jayden Braaf completes loan deal to Udinese for the rest of the season