Manchester City director of football Txiki Begiristain gave his reaction to City’s draw in the first knockout round of the UEFA Champions League.
Speaking about the draw, he said: “You have to highlight the coach at the head of it, Marco Rose. He is one of the top coaches and is loved by a lot of clubs in Europe.”
“Marcus Thuram, Denis Zakaria now is back, Ramy Bensebaini, Yann Sommer the goalkeeper – they have a good squad.”
Manchester City are drawn to face German side Borussia Monchengladbach in the round of 16 of the UEFA Champions league.
City have sailed through the group stages of the competition. We won 5 out of the 6 games and were unbeaten. City’s haul of 16 points is the joint high of any English club in the competition.
Borussia Monchengladbach got through a tough group which featured Real Madrid. Despite losing to Madrid in the final game, they finished second in the group.
Man City will have to be on the guard against a tough opponent.
City will also get a closer look at their potential transfer target Denis Zakaria. The Swiss international is being chased as a potential replacement for out of contract club captain Fernandinho.
City will have to banish the ghosts of their previous experiences in the competition if they want to have a chance of seriously challenging for the elusive trophy.
- ‘Are you ready Mbappe?’ – Phil Foden sends risky tweet
- Guardiola lauds his side for ‘building history’ after City beat Dortmund
- Manchester City to have 2000 fans at Carabao Cup final
- Guardiola defends his team selection after shock defeat
- Guardiola happy for Aguero to stay in England
- BT Sport pundits discuss Haaland’s potential move to Manchester City next season
- Kevin De Bruyne signs new contract until 2025
- Pep Guardiola defends official after bizarre Haaland incident
- Man City to go all out to seal place in semi-final in return leg warns Pep Guardiola
- Guardiola praises ‘exceptional’ Haaland ahead of Dortmund clash