Manchester City director of football Txiki Begiristain gave his reaction to City’s draw in the first knockout round of the UEFA Champions League.
Speaking about the draw, he said: “You have to highlight the coach at the head of it, Marco Rose. He is one of the top coaches and is loved by a lot of clubs in Europe.”
“Marcus Thuram, Denis Zakaria now is back, Ramy Bensebaini, Yann Sommer the goalkeeper – they have a good squad.”
Manchester City are drawn to face German side Borussia Monchengladbach in the round of 16 of the UEFA Champions league.
City have sailed through the group stages of the competition. We won 5 out of the 6 games and were unbeaten. City’s haul of 16 points is the joint high of any English club in the competition.
Borussia Monchengladbach got through a tough group which featured Real Madrid. Despite losing to Madrid in the final game, they finished second in the group.
Man City will have to be on the guard against a tough opponent.
City will also get a closer look at their potential transfer target Denis Zakaria. The Swiss international is being chased as a potential replacement for out of contract club captain Fernandinho.
City will have to banish the ghosts of their previous experiences in the competition if they want to have a chance of seriously challenging for the elusive trophy.
- Match Preview: Manchester City vs Crystal Palace
- Match Review: Manchester City 1-0 Brighton Hove Albion
- Match Preview: Manchester City vs Brighton Hove Albion
- The revival of John Stones at Manchester City
- Guardiola offers Aguero update after the Argentine is forced to self-isolate
- City Football Group name Club Bolivar as first Partner Club
- Guardiola personally contacts Real Madrid superstar asking him to join Manchester City
- City make a formal approach for David Alaba
- Man City face a tough battle against Southampton at the St. Mary’s
- Here is why Man City should move for Lautaro Martinez