City boss Roberto Mancini will be confident of progression to the FA Cup fifth round as Notts County visit Eastlands on Sunday.
But the blues boss will be aware of the fact that County knocked put City’s fellow Premier League side Sunderland in round three at The Stadium Of Light. And the Italian will also be aware of City’s previous meeting with County’s city rivals Forest two years ago, who arrived in Manchester and thumped the blues 3-0.
City are unbeaten in 10 league and cup games against County, winning seven and drawing three of those games, but the visitors will be hoping to become the first team from the third tier of English football to knock the blues out of the competition, a feat that hasn’t been achieved since Oldham beat the blues 1-0 at Boundary Park in 2005.
County knocked City out of the FA Cup in 1991, when Gary Lund scored the only goal of their fifth round clash at Meadow Lane. But they have struggled recently and a 2-0 home win over Colchester in midweek ended their six match winless run.
The winners of this game will be rewarded with a home fixture against Aston Villa in the fifth round. That match will be played on Wednesday 2nd March.
Striker Mario Balotelli may get a run out against County, along with winger Shaun Wright-Phillips. But Nigel de Jong and James Milner are doubtful for the game with an ankle injury and hamstring problem respectively.
Lee Chivers will be available following a knee injury while Lewis Gobern has recovered from a thigh injury suffered against Exeter.
City (from): Hart, Given, Richards, Zabaleta, Boateng, Kompany, Lescott, K Toure, Kolarov, Barry, Vieira, Milner, De Jong, Y Toure, Wright-Phillips, Silva, Balotelli, Tevez, Dzeko, Jo, Razak, Guidetti.
Notts County (from): Nelson, Edwards, Harley, Darby, Pearce, Bishop, Clifford, Ravenhill, Hughes, Burgess, Westcarr, Gow, Hawley, Burch, Thompson, Lee, Martin, Gobern, Smith
Prediction: City have won the last five games at home and although nothing can be guaranteed in the Cup, the blues will have too much strength and class to progress.
City 3-0 Notts County
Agree or disagree? Let us now your thoughts
- ‘We’ll see what the player wants’ – Aguero’s agent provides update on the striker’s future
- Fabrizio Romano: Man City monitoring €50 million valued Spanish center back
- Pep Guardiola confirms Fernandinho will be out for ‘a long time’ with injury
- Pep hopes to convince €20 million rated defender into staying
- Guardiola takes responsibility for Man City’s European woes
- Man City Roundup: Koulibaly bid revealed, Zabaleta could return in non-playing role
- Bernardo Silva predicts tighter title race this season
- Pep Guardiola reacts to Sergio Aguero’s conduct involving match official against Arsenal
- Barcelona plotting January raid on Manchester City
- Manchester City could make a move for Lionel Messi in January