As we speculated earlier this week on the site, Craig Bellamy and Robinho may not be the best of friends. But on the pitch they have developed a connection in just seven matches playing together that has City very much alive in the UEFA Cup.
After a lackluster first half of football, City scored two second half goals, and could have had more. Robinho was brilliant even though his finisihing touch alluded him all evening. City wins 4-3 on aggregate. Some other thoughts:
- As usual Wayne Bridge was outstanding at getting up the pitch and joining the attack but today actually played a very solid defensive game as well.
- Micah Richards and Richard Dunne once again did not have the best of games. The central defense duo has been struggling all year long and while Joe Hart didn’t deserve his ultimate fate, Shay Given was signed for a reason as we saw again tonight. Richards was particularity bad at dealing with a succession of first half Copenhagen corners.
- Vincent Kompany did well playing in Nigel DeJong’s normal role, since DeJong was cup tied and is ineligible for UEFA Cup action.
- With Spurs elimination today, Manchester City is the last remaining British club in the UEFA Cup.
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- How Manchester City will fare in the 2023-24 Champions League
- Manchester City enquire about Florian Wirtz after Kevin de Bruyne injury
- Man City in July: Three pre-season friendlies as Guardiola looks to build on their success last term
- Will Erling Haaland stay long enough to beat Sergio Aguero’s record at Man City?