The Daily Mail have reported that James Milner is set to join the blues from Aston Villa in a £28m deal.
The midfielder is currently on England duty in South Africa and manager Fabio Capello has stated that no transfers are to be conducted while on England duty. But the Mail claims City and Villa are close to an agreement and Milner will sign a five year deal worth around £80,000 per week.
But any potential deal would surely have to wait until after England’s participation in the tournament has ended in order not to incur the wrath of Capello.
The midfielder was the subject of a £20m bid last month which was firmly rejected by the Midlands club but it was always possible that, with City’s seemingly limitless wealth, an increased bid was always certain to bring a more positive response.
In other news, Patrick Vieira is staying at City for another year. Roberto Mancini’s first signing as City manager has agreed a new one year extension with the blues.
- ‘We’ll see what the player wants’ – Aguero’s agent provides update on the striker’s future
- Fabrizio Romano: Man City monitoring €50 million valued Spanish center back
- Pep Guardiola confirms Fernandinho will be out for ‘a long time’ with injury
- Pep hopes to convince €20 million rated defender into staying
- Guardiola takes responsibility for Man City’s European woes
- Man City Roundup: Koulibaly bid revealed, Zabaleta could return in non-playing role
- Bernardo Silva predicts tighter title race this season
- Pep Guardiola reacts to Sergio Aguero’s conduct involving match official against Arsenal
- Barcelona plotting January raid on Manchester City
- Manchester City could make a move for Lionel Messi in January