Manchester City have taken the fight to Porto after the Portuguese side launched an unexpected attack on City.
After a goalless draw at the Estádio do Dragão, Porto’s newsletter attacked Bernardo Silva as a ‘racist’, Fernandinho as a ‘person who lacks class’ and Pep Guardiola as a manager ‘who cannot win without the money’.
Manchester City have struck back at these allegations, stating:
“This is not the first time Porto have reacted badly in circumstances like this. On this occasion it is the ill-judged and targeted criticism of some of our players and indeed our manager, which we wholly reject”.
“In 2012, the last season we encountered them, it was the denial by the club of the clear racist behavior of their fans for which they were investigated and fined. In this context the latest outburst is almost as surprising as it is disappointing.”
City were referring to an incident which occurred back in 2012 when Porto had to investigate a section of their fans for racist chants at striker Mario Balotelli.
Manchester City have taken the right decision to label these attacks as “ill-judged criticism”.
- Preview: Copenhagen vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Huddersfield Town –Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Club World Cup final: Manchester City vs Fluminense Preview, Prediction & Team News
- Preview: Urawa Red Diamonds vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups