Manchester City have made a formal approach for Bayern Munich defender David Alaba.
According to Spanish publication AS, City have made their interest known to Alaba’s agent, Pini Zahavi.
Top European clubs such as Man United, Real Madrid, Juventus and Chelsea are also interested.
David Alaba is in the last year of his contract at Bayern Munich. The Austrian defender has been vocal about his desire to leave the club following differences during contract talks.
Former Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness has also stated his views about contract renewal fails. He says that officials from Bayern lost their cool after Alaba asked for an unreasonable raise.
Alaba’s departure is being viewed as a good thing by many of Europe’s elite.
Manchester City are reportedly interested in David Alaba. City did try to include him in a swap deal with Leroy Sane. However, Bayern rejected their offer and Sane joined Bayern in a simple deal.
The arrival of David Alaba would go a long way to solving City’s left back woes. Even after spending a lot of money on Benjamin Mendy and Angelino, there have been negligible improvements on the left side of City’s defense.
Makeshift left back Joao Cancelo is doing an impressive job after being drafted in to play out of position. City also won their last two Premier League titles with out of position players.
David Alaba will be available for free next summer. Though, given the competition for him, any club would be willing to make an offer in January. Manchester City would have to use all of their skills to pull this one off.
- Guardiola killed my confidence says RB Leipzig defender Angelino
- Bernardo Silva lauds ‘Amazing’ Joao Cancelo after Champions League display vs Monchengladbach
- Pep Guardiola praises City’s resurgent star after Everton victory
- Three Man City players with a point to prove against Tottenham Hotspur
- Pep Guardiola set to reward John Stones with new contract after the Englishman’s impressive season
- Gabriel Jesus reveals plans to return to Brazil in the future
- Premier League preview: Liverpool vs Manchester City
- Manchester City lining up Erling Braut Haaland as Sergio Aguero’s replacement
- Joao Cancelo: from an expensive reserve to an integral cog in Guardiola’s Manchester City machine
- City youngster Jayden Braaf completes loan deal to Udinese for the rest of the season