Manchester City were very close to completing a move for midfielder Frankie De Jong before Barcelona came calling.
According to the Daily Mail, members of Frenkie de Jong’s family were in Manchester scouting out properties before Barcelona showed interest.
De Jong’s girlfriend jetted into Manchester to find a house in which they would settle into their life in England.
Eventually, Barcelona made an offer of £65 million to Ajax and a deal for the Dutch International was done.
The pull of playing at Barcelona is certainly stronger than the Premier League.
Manchester City were targeting De Jong as a future replacement for club captain Fernandinho. After misses with Fred, Jorginho and Tanguy Ndombele, Man City finally got their man in Rodri.
Manchester City signed Rodri from Atletico Madrid for a fee of £62.8 million.
- Three Manchester City misfits heading towards summer exits
- Manchester City Transfer News Latest – Kalvin Phillips IN; Jesus & Sterling OUT
- Manchester City Transfer News Latest – Guardiola Targeting Two Premier League Defenders
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Wanda Metropolitano Tensions to Keep Manchester City on Their Toes Ahead of FA Cup weekend