Manchester City officials believe that the midfield may need rebuilding in the near future.
An exclusive from 90mins states that the officials are keeping a close eye on the market for worthy additions.
The talks of rebuild can be attributed to the seniority of City’s midfielders Fernandinho and Ilkay Gundogan. Fernandinho and Gundogan are 35 and 30 years of age respectively.
The Man City captain is in the last year of his contract at the club. There have been no talks over an extension. Even if there were, the new extensions would have to be short term deals owing to his age.
Similarly, Gundogan’s contract runs out in 2023. At that point of time, the German will be close to being 33 years old.
City may want to look at the future. Under Pep Guardiola, City have one of the youngest squads in the Premier League. They may want to continue doing that.
One of the players earmarked as a likely addition if Aston Villa midfielder Douglas Luiz.
Douglas Luiz is a former City player who joined Villa last season. He has performed extraordinarily for Villa.
The people at the club have always believed in his potential and he is now being looked at as Fernandinho’s successor at the club.
- Three Manchester City misfits heading towards summer exits
- Manchester City Transfer News Latest – Kalvin Phillips IN; Jesus & Sterling OUT
- Manchester City Transfer News Latest – Guardiola Targeting Two Premier League Defenders
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Wanda Metropolitano Tensions to Keep Manchester City on Their Toes Ahead of FA Cup weekend