Manchester United defender Eric Bailly admitted to snubbing Manchester City to join their cross town rivals.
Speaking to Mundo Deportivo, he confessed:
“In the summer of 2016 there were many rumors”.
“I was in Ivory Coast, in the dining room at home with my mother when the phone rang. It was a Portuguese number; Mourinho. He told me to come with him, that he liked me since he saw me with Espanyol and Villarreal”.
“Manchester City were also interested, but if Mourinho calls you, you can’t say no”.
Bailly joined Man United after having a personal phone call from Jose Mourinho. He was the first signing of United’s Mourinho era.
Manchester City were also interested in shoring up their defense when Pep Guardiola took charge of the club. After Bailly’s snub, the club signed John Stones from Everton for £47.5 million.
Further center-back signings under Pep Guardiola include Aymeric Laporte, Ruben Dias and Nathan Ake.
Eric Bailly has had a stop-start time at Man United due to his frequent injuries. He is out of a contract in the summer of 2022.
- Match Preview: Manchester City vs Crystal Palace
- Match Review: Manchester City 1-0 Brighton Hove Albion
- Match Preview: Manchester City vs Brighton Hove Albion
- The revival of John Stones at Manchester City
- Guardiola offers Aguero update after the Argentine is forced to self-isolate
- City Football Group name Club Bolivar as first Partner Club
- Guardiola personally contacts Real Madrid superstar asking him to join Manchester City
- City make a formal approach for David Alaba
- Man City face a tough battle against Southampton at the St. Mary’s
- Here is why Man City should move for Lautaro Martinez