Manchester United defender Eric Bailly admitted to snubbing Manchester City to join their cross town rivals.
Speaking to Mundo Deportivo, he confessed:
“In the summer of 2016 there were many rumors”.
“I was in Ivory Coast, in the dining room at home with my mother when the phone rang. It was a Portuguese number; Mourinho. He told me to come with him, that he liked me since he saw me with Espanyol and Villarreal”.
“Manchester City were also interested, but if Mourinho calls you, you can’t say no”.
Bailly joined Man United after having a personal phone call from Jose Mourinho. He was the first signing of United’s Mourinho era.
Manchester City were also interested in shoring up their defense when Pep Guardiola took charge of the club. After Bailly’s snub, the club signed John Stones from Everton for £47.5 million.
Further center-back signings under Pep Guardiola include Aymeric Laporte, Ruben Dias and Nathan Ake.
Eric Bailly has had a stop-start time at Man United due to his frequent injuries. He is out of a contract in the summer of 2022.
- West Ham United looking to sign Manchester City’s Yangel Herrera
- Pep Guardiola – mastermind behind Man City’s rise to Premier League prominence
- Kylian Mbappe on the bench for PSG
- ‘What a man, I am in love as a person’ – Guardiola on Aguero
- Guardiola may be the ‘greatest manager of all time’ – Neville