Even the most ardent supporter of Mark Hughes must admit that Roberto Mancini has had a positive impact on the club’s results. Under Hughes, City was inept away from home. On the current three game Premier League road trip, the Blues went undefeated and picked up seven points, continuing a strong push for the 4th and final Champions League spot.
Joleon Lescott’s late scratch denied the defender the opportunity to audition at left back for Fabio Capello, but Javier Garrido filled in admirably. City’s shape was helped by the presence of Patrick Vieira who despite several clumsy fouls, positioned himself particularly well in the deep lying midfield position. Vincent Kompany continued his recent outstanding form helping to organize the backlin. Kolo Toure’s return was a successful one, although their were several occasions where the Ivorian looked out of position only to recover quickly.
Going forward, the wide play provided by Adam Johnson and Craig Bellamy was outstanding and as always Carlos Tevez was on the mark. Seven points from a three match road trip is the type of form that puts a club into Europe or even title contention. Let’s hope this proves true for City.
- Manchester City Players at the 2022 World Cup
- Manchester City v Liverpool – Carabao Cup Fourth Round Draw – News & Predictions
- Man City must contend with Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea this season
- Manchester City vs Borussia Dortmund Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Three Manchester City misfits heading towards summer exits