Former Manchester City player Gael Clichy questioned the club’s move for Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi.
Speaking to Stadium Astro, he said:
“Is it risky? Yes, it is. Time will tell. Can City do better? If they can, maybe they can attract someone like Messi.”
“Would he be a plus for English football? Definitely. We can only predict something when it’s there”.
“Messi will improve any team and if comes to City with Guardiola, the team will be shaped around him. Can he cope with the schedule and the weather? Who knows. It’s exciting news if it becomes real”.
“What they did together at Barcelona was magical and you just hope that those two can be reunited. You think about Kevin De Bruyne, Messi, Raheem Sterling and Sergio Aguero all together, you are dreaming. Would it be the right solution? I’m not sure.”
The former City left-back is not sure whether adding Messi at this perilous juncture for the club is the right step.
Manchester City are struggling. The team is failing to score and looks out of ideas in the final third of the pitch. Many believed the news of Guardiola’s renewal would change things but City were embarrassed by Tottenham Hotspurs in the EPL.
The future of City’s move for Messi is unclear for now. He may or may not leave Barcelona next year.
Currently, Manchester City are 13th in the Premier League. They are 8 points behind leaders Tottenham, with a game in hand and a goal difference of -1.
- How Manchester City will fare in the 2023-24 Champions League
- Manchester City enquire about Florian Wirtz after Kevin de Bruyne injury
- Man City in July: Three pre-season friendlies as Guardiola looks to build on their success last term
- Will Erling Haaland stay long enough to beat Sergio Aguero’s record at Man City?
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups