City’s hopes of claiming fourth spot in the league were boosted by Arsenal and Wolves on a good night of Premiership football.
City sat level on points with Liverpool in fourth place and their 1-0 defeat at Arsenal means the blues are still level but with two games in hand while Wolves also helped the blues out by beating Spurs 1-0.
Had the Londoners won in the Black Country, they would have leapfrogged both City and Liverpool and be sitting two points clear in fourth. As it stands, the blues will go three clear of Liverpool if they beat Stoke at the Britannia Stadium next Tuesday and could go even further clear of Liverpool should they pick up three points against The Merseysiders at Eastlands a week on Saturday.
Aston Villa could have usurped all three clubs but were held to a 1-1 draw at home to United, who closed the gap on Chelsea to just one point after the leaders were beaten 2-1 at Everton.
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- How Manchester City will fare in the 2023-24 Champions League
- Manchester City enquire about Florian Wirtz after Kevin de Bruyne injury
- Man City in July: Three pre-season friendlies as Guardiola looks to build on their success last term
- Will Erling Haaland stay long enough to beat Sergio Aguero’s record at Man City?