Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola used the post match talk after City’s win against Fulham to send a message to his team.
He also used this opportunity to explain the reason behind Aymeric Laporte’s omission from City’s starting lineup for 4 straight games.
He said: “John played really good last two games, he deserved to continue to play. It always depends on performance”.
“The skills and qualities are there or you couldn’t play for Man City. So it’s how you perform every training session every day.”
Guardiola has preferred John Stones over Aymeric Laporte for the past few games. The reason behind this is Stones’s energetic performances in the training and matches.
Stones has come out swinging after being out of the squad since City’s opening day game against Wolves. His performances are set to give Guardiola a selection nightmare in the coming games.
Stones is also challenging Laporte and Dias for the starting spot in Guardiola’s lineup. Laporte has been the first choice center back since his arrival in 2017. This is the first time he is being seriously challenged in Man City.
He hasn’t played since City’s 2-0 defeat to Tottenham.
Aymeric Laporte may get a chance to fight back when City face Marseille in the midweek UEFA Ucl dead rubber.
- Manchester City Players at the 2022 World Cup
- Manchester City v Liverpool – Carabao Cup Fourth Round Draw – News & Predictions
- Man City must contend with Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea this season
- Manchester City vs Borussia Dortmund Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Three Manchester City misfits heading towards summer exits