Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has hinted at the role club captain Fernandinho is expected to play this season.
Speaking about it, he said:
“It is not necessary to say how important he is for all of us and me personally. The last game against Porto showed his incredible personality. We need Fernandinho a lot this season because we have just two holding midfielders and he knows the position perfectly”.
“Last season he helped us a lot in a position where we didn’t have much players with injuries so he is coming back to his position because we now have five central defenders. Whatever happens in the middle of the season or three-quarters of the way through or at the end of the season, him and the club are going to talk about it a contract.”
Guardiola expects the Brazilian midfielder to play a huge role this season.
Fernandinho has been the backbone of City’s romp to successive Premier League titles under Pep Guardiola. He also helped out in the defense last season when Aymeric Laporte was injured.
He is out of a contract next summer.
Losing a player like Fernandinho is going to be a big blow for Man City. The club will have to find a perfect replacement to not disrupt the team due to his absence.
Fernandinho is expected to feature again when Man City lock horns with Fulham tomorrow at the Etihad.
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- How Manchester City will fare in the 2023-24 Champions League
- Manchester City enquire about Florian Wirtz after Kevin de Bruyne injury
- Man City in July: Three pre-season friendlies as Guardiola looks to build on their success last term
- Will Erling Haaland stay long enough to beat Sergio Aguero’s record at Man City?