Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola used the press conference to praise midfielder Ilkay Gundogan.
He said: “Ilkay Gundogan is incredibly important for us. He has personality. Defensively he was good. He lost simple balls and has to avoid that. But Ilkay is an exceptional player in all situations. He can play more upfront and as a defensive midfielder.”
Ilkay Gundogan has been an integral part of Man City’s team since his arrival from Borussia Dortmund.
Since the departure of David Silva, Gundogan has been called up to fill the creative gap left by the Spanish maestro’s departure.
Gundogan likes to stay deep, keep the game ticking and slip in long balls and key passes to disrupt the opponent’s defense.
The return of Fernandinho would certainly ease him up of the defensive duties. The German midfielder is at his best when he is allowed to roam around with the ball and play a part in City’s build up.
Gundogan may play a part in City’s midweek clash against Marseille in the UEFA Ucl before he gears up for Saturday’s derby against Man United.
- West Ham United looking to sign Manchester City’s Yangel Herrera
- Pep Guardiola – mastermind behind Man City’s rise to Premier League prominence
- Kylian Mbappe on the bench for PSG
- ‘What a man, I am in love as a person’ – Guardiola on Aguero
- Guardiola may be the ‘greatest manager of all time’ – Neville