Keeper Joe Hart has taken responsibility for the blunder which led to Blackburn’s opening goal at Eastlands on Saturday.
The England number one said a lack of communication between himself and defender Kolo Toure was to blame as Nikola Kalinic tapped home for the game’s opening goal. “I got there and Kolo was about to head it. He heard me coming and left it.” Hart apologised for the error, stating he got in the way.
After the game, City boss Roberto Mancini refused to blame Hart for the error. “It was a strange goal. It can happen. Joe Hart is a good keeper.”
Hart began the season by displacing Shay Given as number one and justified his selection on the opening day by making a string of excellent saves to deny Spurs at White Hart Lane. He was also in fine form for England during their 4-0 win over Bulgaria and led to rumours that Given would be looking for a new club.
But the Irishman may get his chance to impress Mancini and stake his claim for a Premiership start on Thursday when the blues open their Europa League group campaign at Red Bull Salzburg.
- Preview: Copenhagen vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Huddersfield Town –Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Club World Cup final: Manchester City vs Fluminense Preview, Prediction & Team News
- Preview: Urawa Red Diamonds vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups