City are set to do their first head to head battle of the summer with Chelsea, by offering a reported £24m for Aston Villa midfielder James Milner.
The former Newcastle man has enjoyed a terrific season with the Midland club and was voted Young Player of the Year ahead of City’s Joe Hart. But any move for the midfielder will have to be concluded quickly as England manager Fabio Capello has stated that none of his players will not negotiate transfers while on World Cup duty.
But City are expecting to face stiff competition in the form of league champions Chelsea, who are ready to match City’s bid for Milner. The West London club may also have a slight advantage over the blues by being able to offer Milner Champions League football. But the reported £24m falls well short of the Midland club’s valuation of Milner, which they see at around the £30m mark.
However, Villa will be determined to hold onto Milner as they seek to build their squad for an assault on Europe next season and will be expected to reject both City and Chelsea’s bids.
Is James Milner worth £24m?
- Preview: Copenhagen vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Huddersfield Town –Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Club World Cup final: Manchester City vs Fluminense Preview, Prediction & Team News
- Preview: Urawa Red Diamonds vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups