City are set to do their first head to head battle of the summer with Chelsea, by offering a reported £24m for Aston Villa midfielder James Milner.
The former Newcastle man has enjoyed a terrific season with the Midland club and was voted Young Player of the Year ahead of City’s Joe Hart. But any move for the midfielder will have to be concluded quickly as England manager Fabio Capello has stated that none of his players will not negotiate transfers while on World Cup duty.
But City are expecting to face stiff competition in the form of league champions Chelsea, who are ready to match City’s bid for Milner. The West London club may also have a slight advantage over the blues by being able to offer Milner Champions League football. But the reported £24m falls well short of the Midland club’s valuation of Milner, which they see at around the £30m mark.
However, Villa will be determined to hold onto Milner as they seek to build their squad for an assault on Europe next season and will be expected to reject both City and Chelsea’s bids.
Is James Milner worth £24m?
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- How Manchester City will fare in the 2023-24 Champions League
- Manchester City enquire about Florian Wirtz after Kevin de Bruyne injury
- Man City in July: Three pre-season friendlies as Guardiola looks to build on their success last term
- Will Erling Haaland stay long enough to beat Sergio Aguero’s record at Man City?