Stephen Ireland could get the chance to regain some of his form when City entertain Liverpool on Sunday.
Ireland was an unused sub for Tuesday’s clash with Stoke with Patrick Vieira getting the nod to play alongside Gareth Barry and Nigel de Jong. But the former Arsenal man is facing a three match suspension, Ireland may be in line for a start against the Merseysiders in a clash that could have a huge say on who gets fourth spot.
City currently lie one place ahead of Liverpool in the table and victory will move them four points clear of their North West rivals while defeat could see the blues slip as far as 7th in the league, depending on results elsewhere.
Ireland recently blamed former manager Mark Hughes for his lack of form, claiming the Welshman often played him out of position and his last league start for the blues came at Hull City when City were beaten 2-1. Ireland said he was rarely allowed to play in his best position meaning he struggled to make an impact.
Meanwhile, Liverpool laboured to a Europa League win on Thursday against Romanian unknowns Unirea Urzinceni. Despite fielding a strong team and almost being ahead within the first thirty seconds, Liverpool had to wit until the 81st minute to break the deadlock and take a slender 1-0 lead to Romania for the return leg.
- Three Manchester City misfits heading towards summer exits
- Manchester City Transfer News Latest – Kalvin Phillips IN; Jesus & Sterling OUT
- Manchester City Transfer News Latest – Guardiola Targeting Two Premier League Defenders
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Wanda Metropolitano Tensions to Keep Manchester City on Their Toes Ahead of FA Cup weekend