City duo Adam Johnson and Shaun Wright-Phillips face an anxious wait to discover if they will be going to the World Cup with England.
Johnson only had six minutes to impress Fabio Capello on his debut against Mexico but within two minutes almost set op a chance for Jermaine Defoe. SWP played the full second half of Sunday’s laboured 2-1 win over Japan but with Aaron Lennon and Theo Walcott not particularly impressive for England, SWP’s chances of making the final cut may just have improved.
Keeper Joe Hart enjoyed another 45 minutes in goal, making three good saves and keeping a personal clean sheet for the second successive international, giving his chances of appearing at the finals no harm at all.
Meanwhile, Gareth Barry will be given up to the last minute to prove to Capello that he will be able to figure in South Africa. The City midfielder limped off during the second half of City’s last home game of the season against Spurs and his fitness will be assessed before Capello names his final squad.
The Italian will be advising the unlucky seven by telephone on Monday before naming his final squad on Tuesday, although he has already confirmed that he knows what his final squad will be.
Should both Johnson and SWP make the final 23?
- Preview: Copenhagen vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Huddersfield Town –Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Club World Cup final: Manchester City vs Fluminense Preview, Prediction & Team News
- Preview: Urawa Red Diamonds vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups