Martin O’Neill has finally conceded defeat in the James Milner story and will allow the midfielder to leave – but only if the price is right.
The England man was the subject of a £20m bid from the blues prior to England’s World Cup debacle, which was instantly rejected by Villa. However, speculation has increased throughout the summer over Milner’s future, even though the blues have not since returned to the Villa hierarchy with an increased offer.
O’Neill had hoped the midfielder would stay in the Midlands but has revealed Milner indicated he wanted to leave Villa before the World Cup began and more recently, Milner Villa team-mate Stewart Downing claimed Milner would play just a bit part at Eastlands should he make the move north.
Although no formal bid has been submitted since the £20m offer in May, O’Neill claims there is some difference between City’s valuation and Villa’s, but is confident something will be worked out between the two clubs.
- Preview: Copenhagen vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Huddersfield Town –Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Club World Cup final: Manchester City vs Fluminense Preview, Prediction & Team News
- Preview: Urawa Red Diamonds vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups