A fine European performance from City ensured that the club would have continue its quest to bring European glory to the blue half of Manchester this year. Shaun Wright Phillips strong play of the last few weeks continued with a masterful personal performance that led City to a decisive victory over a quality opponent at Eastlands.
Most importantly perhaps was City’s failure to concede an away goal, making the Danish side decided underdogs for next week’s return leg.
The fighting spirit of the side was best exemplified by Elano and Robinho two attack minded Brazilians who rarely track back defensively. In the second half with City defending a 2-0 lead and trying to prevent an away goal, both midfielders played excellent defense: very rare indeed but a sign that the squad has embraced the UEFA Cup competition as a real chance for glory this season.
City was perhaps wasteful in much of the second stanza but goes to next week’s away leg knowing a single goal will probably sink the Danish side. AaB is quality opponent who of course took points from Manchester United in Champions League group play this season, so the Blues will need to be on form next week.
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Bayern Munich vs Manchester City – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Manchester City in April: Next six Premier League fixtures
- Arsenal vs Manchester City Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Manchester City vs Arsenal Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups