A fine European performance from City ensured that the club would have continue its quest to bring European glory to the blue half of Manchester this year. Shaun Wright Phillips strong play of the last few weeks continued with a masterful personal performance that led City to a decisive victory over a quality opponent at Eastlands.
Most importantly perhaps was City’s failure to concede an away goal, making the Danish side decided underdogs for next week’s return leg.
The fighting spirit of the side was best exemplified by Elano and Robinho two attack minded Brazilians who rarely track back defensively. In the second half with City defending a 2-0 lead and trying to prevent an away goal, both midfielders played excellent defense: very rare indeed but a sign that the squad has embraced the UEFA Cup competition as a real chance for glory this season.
City was perhaps wasteful in much of the second stanza but goes to next week’s away leg knowing a single goal will probably sink the Danish side. AaB is quality opponent who of course took points from Manchester United in Champions League group play this season, so the Blues will need to be on form next week.
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- How Manchester City will fare in the 2023-24 Champions League
- Manchester City enquire about Florian Wirtz after Kevin de Bruyne injury
- Man City in July: Three pre-season friendlies as Guardiola looks to build on their success last term
- Will Erling Haaland stay long enough to beat Sergio Aguero’s record at Man City?