Manchester City are getting tagged in their pursuit of Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi.
According to Spanish football expect Guillem Balague, Chelsea could be among the clubs looking seriously at Leo Messi’s situation.
Speaking on his Youtube channel, he said:
“Chelsea are definitely in the equation if Messi becomes available. That is true. Chelsea will insist they want to hear everything that is going on”.
“If they have the money they will want to be involved too. Remember, there is no transfer fee.”
Chelsea had an outrageous transfer spend in this year’s summer transfer window. The Blues spent almost £230million on 5 players. They also got 2 players on a free transfer.
Manchester City are really interested in Lionel Messi. The Citizens were the favorites to land the Argentine legend in the event of his departure from Barca. Messi’s transfer request shocked the world but it did not give him a way out.
Barcelona were insistent on his release clause being paid and no one did.
Though, things will be different next year. Barcelona are facing a financial crisis which will force them to slash the wages of their players and Messi is out of contract next summer.
Pep Guardiola’s contract renewal has given City massive hope of pulling off this huge transfer.
The lack of a transfer fee next June will attract even more clubs toward Lionel Messi and Manchester City will have to pull all of their weight to complete this one.
- Match Preview: Manchester City vs Crystal Palace
- Match Review: Manchester City 1-0 Brighton Hove Albion
- Match Preview: Manchester City vs Brighton Hove Albion
- The revival of John Stones at Manchester City
- Guardiola offers Aguero update after the Argentine is forced to self-isolate
- City Football Group name Club Bolivar as first Partner Club
- Guardiola personally contacts Real Madrid superstar asking him to join Manchester City
- City make a formal approach for David Alaba
- Man City face a tough battle against Southampton at the St. Mary’s
- Here is why Man City should move for Lautaro Martinez