Manchester City suffered a big blow when their star midfielder Kevin de Bruyne picked up a serious knock in the Premier League opener against Burnley.
The Belgian may require surgery on his hamstring, putting him at risk of missing out on the rest of 2023.
Without the services of one of their key players for an extended period, City are now desperately looking to add a new midfielder.
They looked fine on Saturday when they edged Newcastle United 1-0 at the Etihad Stadium. But more tricky fixtures await them in the coming months, with all the matches available to watch via Man City live streams.
According to Relevo journalist Matteo Moretto, the Citizens have enquired about Bayer Leverkusen’s Florian Wirtz.
The 20-year-old has seen a huge development in the last few years, posting over 100 appearances in all competitions.
The attacking midfielder has also scored 25 goals and registered 30 assists for the Bundesliga outfit.
He looks to have the ability to replace De Bruyne while the Belgian is recovering from his injury.
Wirtz’s impressive stats speak for himself. Last season, he was even better than De Bruyne in terms of progressive carries, forward passes and defensive actions.
But the Belgium international’s numbers were superior in the categories of progressive passes, duels won and key passes.
Wirtz still has four years left on his contract at the Bay Arena and so a deal for the 20-year-old is unlikely to be easy for Pep Guardiola’s side.
They will have to part with a huge transfer fee to seal a move for the young midfielder.
- How Manchester City will fare in the 2023-24 Champions League
- Manchester City enquire about Florian Wirtz after Kevin de Bruyne injury
- Man City in July: Three pre-season friendlies as Guardiola looks to build on their success last term
- Will Erling Haaland stay long enough to beat Sergio Aguero’s record at Man City?
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups