Manchester City are lining up a summer move for Borussia Dortmund striker Erling Braut Haaland as they aim to find a replacement for Sergio Aguero, The Mirror reports.
The Cityzens have missed the services of Aguero for most of the season due to multiple injuries as well as him contracting the coronavirus.
The club’s all-time leading goalscorer is currently out on the sidelines with a knee issue and it is unclear when he could return to action.
His current deal expires at the end of June and it is reported that the striker may end his decade-long association with the club to return to his native Argentina.
Hence, the Mancunian giants are looking into a replacement and Haaland has been identified as the suitable transfer target for the summer.
The Norwegian currently has a £68m release clause on his contract which will only become active at the end of the 2021/22 campaign.
However, the Cityzens are aiming to sign him 12 months earlier and could be prepared to pay a significantly higher fee of around £100m for his signature.
Aguero has been the leader of the Cityzens’ attack over the past decade, but he has endured a frustrating 2020/21 campaign with only nine appearances.
His current deal expires in less than five months’ time and there has been no indication that the club are in negotiations over a renewal.
Haaland is undoubtedly one of the world’s most exciting young strikers and he has been in stellar form since start of last season.
The 20-year-old has netted 22 goals in as many games for Dortmund this term and he could be the perfect fit to lead the Cityzens attack for the next decade.
Pep Guardiola’s side currently have Gabriel Jesus, who has been a quality competitor to Aguero with 74 goals and 31 assists from 171 appearances.
However, he has been prone to missing clear-cut scoring opportunities and he squandered as many as 24 big chances in the previous league campaign.
Haaland has been much more efficient and since the start of last season with Red Bull Salzburg with an excellent ratio of one goal per game.
The Premier League will offer a stiffer challenge for Haaland, but he has all the traits to succeed with his physique, strong hold-up play and excellent finishing qualities.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Kylian Mbappe on the bench for PSG
- ‘What a man, I am in love as a person’ – Guardiola on Aguero
- Guardiola may be the ‘greatest manager of all time’ – Neville
- Kevin De Bruyne returns to start in cup final
- Manchester City out of the European Super League
- Man City fans hang anti-ESL banners outside the Etihad
- David Bernstein ‘ashamed’ with City for supporting European Super League
- Kevin De Bruyne ruled out of Aston Villa clash
- ‘Are you ready Mbappe?’ – Phil Foden sends risky tweet
- Guardiola lauds his side for ‘building history’ after City beat Dortmund