City face Everton and Goodison Park on Saturday hoping their recent run of five straight league and cup wins under Roberto Mancini will inspire them to improve their record on the blue half of Merseyside.
City have won just 2 games from 12 visits to Goodison in the Premiership and lost 6, exactly half of their total Premiership visits. Goal wise, the blues have scored 11 times in those 12 visits, meaning an average of just under one goal per visit, largely helped by last season’s 2-1 win at Goodison and a 3-1 win in their first Premiership encounter on Merseyside when two goals from Mike Sheron and a strike from David White ensured the three points for the blues.
In league competition, City have travelled to Merseyside 76 times but have only emerged victorious on 16 occasions while tasting defeat by exactly half the number of games played (32).
In all competitions, the two teams have met 98 times at Goodison, with the blues only winning 18 to Everton’s 53.
The teams first met at Goodison Park on 28th April 1900 and City were hammered 4-0. City found winning at Everton quite difficult and it took 17 years to finally win there. January 13th 1917 was the day when Fairclough and Barnes secured a 2-0 away win. From the 16 games played prior to that victory, City had managed to draw just five games, losing nine.
City’s biggest defeat at Everton came in the form of a 9-0 battering in November 1941, which is still a record defeat for City.
Everton v City – Summary
|FL Division 1 (Old)||64||14||18||32||71||118|
|FL Division 2 (Old)||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|FL Division 1 (New)||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|FL Division 2 (New)||0||0||0||0||0||0|
Rather Meaningless Facts
City and Everton have never met in the league outside the top flight.
Last season’s 2-1 win at Goodison was only City’s second and last away win of the season.
Following City’s first win at Everton, the blues would have to wait another 11 years to taste victory at Goodison again. It was worth the wait as the blues ran out 6-2 winners, which remains City’s biggest win at Everton.
City need 2 goals on Saturday to have scored 100 goals at Goodison. Everton need 8 to have scored 200 against City.
The two teams have only met in the League Cup once. January 1988 in the Quarter Final when Everton won 2-0 at Goodison. In the same season, City were also knocked out of the FA Cup by Liverpool, also at the Quarter Final stage.
Stats provided by www.mcfcstats.co.uk
- ‘Are you ready Mbappe?’ – Phil Foden sends risky tweet
- Guardiola lauds his side for ‘building history’ after City beat Dortmund
- Manchester City to have 2000 fans at Carabao Cup final
- Guardiola defends his team selection after shock defeat
- Guardiola happy for Aguero to stay in England
- BT Sport pundits discuss Haaland’s potential move to Manchester City next season
- Kevin De Bruyne signs new contract until 2025
- Pep Guardiola defends official after bizarre Haaland incident
- Man City to go all out to seal place in semi-final in return leg warns Pep Guardiola
- Guardiola praises ‘exceptional’ Haaland ahead of Dortmund clash