The blues take on Stoke for the third time in eight weeks and will face The Potteries again next Wednesday in the FA Cup replay.
City have travelled to Stoke 40 times since their first meeting in at the Victoria Ground in 1899. That game ended in a 1-0 win for Stoke.
Since then, the blues have visited Stoke another 39 times in the league and have lost 24 games in total, winning only ten. Their only meeting in the Premier League came last season when the blues lost 1-0, a win that helped Stoke survive their first Premiership season.
The majority of their meetings came in the old first division, when 33 games were played at Stoke. City won seven of those losing and losing twenty. The record gets worse for City. During the war years, the teams played ten times at Stoke and City failed to record a single victory, drawing two and losing eight.
The two have met five times in cup competitions; twice in the FA Cup and three times in the League Cup. City have won one and lost one in the FA Cup and still await their first victory at Stoke in the League Cup, drawing one and losing two.
Overall, from 55 games played, City have won just 11 to Stoke’s 35. Goal wise, Stoke have a clear lead, scoring 98 times to City’s 46.
City’s Record At Stoke
|First Division (Old)||33||7||6||20||26||55|
|Second Division (Old)||3||1||0||2||4||6|
|First Division (New)||2||1||0||1||6||4|
|Second Division (New)||1||1||0||0||1||0|
Interesting But Useless Facts
City’s biggest win at Stoke came in May 1998 when the blues won 5-2.
Stoke have inflicted two 5-0 defeats on City, their heaviest losses at Stoke to date.
Stoke are one of the oldest football clubs in the world. They were founded in 1863. Only Notts County are older. So who did Notts County play against?
Stoke were the first team to finish bottom of the table when the Football League began in 1888.
To ensure their dominance of the league’s worst team, they did it again the following season.
- Man City loanee just can’t stop scoring
- Club chiefs monitoring Leipzig manager Julian Nagelsmann
- Man City winger denies quotes linking him to PSG
- Sergio Aguero would be willing to apologise to Sian Massey-Ellis
- Angelino opens up on his struggles at Manchester City
- One for the Future – Man City on the verge of signing highly rated Serbian winger
- ‘We’ll see what the player wants’ – Aguero’s agent provides update on the striker’s future
- Fabrizio Romano: Man City monitoring €50 million valued Spanish center back
- Pep Guardiola confirms Fernandinho will be out for ‘a long time’ with injury
- Pep hopes to convince €20 million rated defender into staying