Footballing superstar Lionel Messi’s constant Barcelona troubles are increasing Manchester City’s hopes of landing him next year.
Messi was a part of another verbal lashing when French striker Antoine Griezmann’s uncle accused the superstar of controlling everything at the club.
Reacting to it, Messi told the media:
“I’m tired of always being the problem for everything at the club”.
Messi’s anger at these comments shows his unstable future at the club. Messi has been unhappy with Barcelona for the majority of this year and wants to leave.
His transfer request after Barca’s humiliating 8-2 defeat to Bayern set of a chain of events which lead to the resignation of club president Josep Maria Bartomeu. Messi still does not believe anything will change with a new President.
This gives Manchester City an enormous boost in the race for his signature.
City were very interested in signing him in the summer. But, Barca’s decision to stick to his release clause put a hold on the move. Triggering a release clause of €700 million is steep even for Lionel Messi.
Messi’s contract at the Catalan club expires next summer. City are hoping to take advantage of Barca’s perilous financial situation and make an offer in January. Even if that fails, Messi would be free to negotiate after January 1.
- Preview: Copenhagen vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Huddersfield Town –Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Club World Cup final: Manchester City vs Fluminense Preview, Prediction & Team News
- Preview: Urawa Red Diamonds vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups