City boss Roberto Mancini has called on his players to do more than qualify for the Europa League by beating Spurs on Wednesday and move to within 90 minutes of qualifying for the Champions League.
Speaking ahead of Wednesday night’s clash, Mancini knows what it means to the players and the supporters. “I know this is an important moment for the club. All the players have worked for this target,” said the Italian. “I have worked here for five months. I can build a good future here. We are trying to change the history of the club.”
Mancini has been under scrutiny with continuous claims that he will be replaced by Jose Mourinho during the summer together with the apparent revolt by star striker Carlos Tevez over training methods. But the former Inter boss still feels he will be in charge next season regardless of the result against Spurs.
“My future does not come down to this game. We have qualified for the Europa League. Now we have a chance to do more.”
Victory for City will see the blues move two points clear of Spurs and victory at West Ham next Sunday will confirm City finish in fourth place. But Mancini knows that it will be a tough game against the Londoners. “Tottenham are a good team. They have very good players and a good manager.
“They have been fantastic in the Premier League. Now Tottenham and ourselves must play for fourth position. It is fantastic for us and them.”
- Preview: Copenhagen vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Huddersfield Town –Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Club World Cup final: Manchester City vs Fluminense Preview, Prediction & Team News
- Preview: Urawa Red Diamonds vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups