Manchester City are set to open contract talks with John Stones as the English defender continues to impress.
It has been an incredible revival for John Stones at Manchester City as just six months ago, City were reportedly happy to let Stones leave the club.
However, six months down the line, Stones has been one of Manchester City’s most consistent players and his partnership with Ruben Dias has been key to City’s title challenge.
Now according to the Times, Guardiola is keen to tie the in-form defender down to a new deal.
John Stones’s current contract expires at the end of next season but Guardiola is keen to ensure the defender will remain at the Etihad.
The 26-year-old fell to Guardiola’s fourth-choice centre back last season, however, this campaign he has proved to be difficult to drop.
He has played 90 minutes in nine of City’s last 10 games in the Premier League and has been an integral part of the league’s tightest defence.
He scored twice earlier this month against Crystal Palace – his first league goals since 2015.
John Stones’s performances this season have put him back in contention for a spot in Gareth Southgate’s England squad for the Euros.
- West Ham United looking to sign Manchester City’s Yangel Herrera
- Pep Guardiola – mastermind behind Man City’s rise to Premier League prominence
- Kylian Mbappe on the bench for PSG
- ‘What a man, I am in love as a person’ – Guardiola on Aguero
- Guardiola may be the ‘greatest manager of all time’ – Neville