Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero was heavily criticized for the incident involving official Sian Massey-Ellis.
The Argentine striker was seen placing his hand on the official’s shoulder after disagreement regarding a decision during the match against Arsenal.
Aguero escaped punishment for his actions because the match officials did not believe that a formal action was needed. However, the City star was slammed on social media by the fans.
Guardiola claimed after the game that Aguero is a good person and he did not mean any disrespect to Sian Massey-Ellis.
Now the Manchester City boss has claimed that Aguero would be happy to apologise to the official if she felt disrespected during the game.
He said to Sky: “All the people looking from outside judge, I know the intention from Sergio. Sergio put his hands in a normal way like he does many times to me, on or off the pitch or when I hug him, when there is a substitution or when sometimes he touches the referee as well or an opponent.
“If I’d seen some aggression, maybe. I think it was normal as I know him perfectly. He’s been a huge star in the world but he’s humble, nicest people I’ve met. What is important is his intention and his intention was normal, to talk to her in a normal way, it was not a bad word, it was just normal.
“I didn’t speak to Sergio about this but I’m pretty sure if she felt bad he will apologise without a problem. It is the same what happened with Bernardo, I know him perfectly well and it was a joke and this was a normal situation.”
It will be interesting to see how the situation unfolds in the coming weeks.
Although Aguero’s actions were not acceptable, it did not come across as disrespectful and the Argentine deserves the benefit of the doubt here.
However, he must ensure that his actions are not repeated in the future.
Meanwhile, Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola seems disappointed with the fixture congestion and he is worried that more players could pick up injuries due to the lack of rest.
City are already dealing with injuries blow to Fernandinho, Jesus and Mendy. The likes of Laporte and De Bruyne are doubtful for this weekend as well.
- Olympiakos manager praises Ederson – He has great qualities
- Olympiakos manager confident of upsetting Man City
- City receive transfer boost as Isco would like to try another league
- Guardiola slams City’s grueling schedule – ‘Every season is a disadvantage’
- Pep Guardiola : I have a feeling we will do really well in UCL this season
- City were all set to complete a move for Frenkie De Jong before Barcelona came calling
- Pundit claims City’s move for Grealish would be a “kick in the teeth” for Phil Foden
- City are set to offer Lionel Messi MLS transfer and ambassadorial role as part of 10-year plan
- Nathan Ake to return to training by the end of the week
- Eric Garcia to be the priority for Barcelona in the January transfer window – overtakes Memphis Depay for the top spot