Rumors have circulated throughout the British press that Manchester City’s biggest transfer target in January could be David Villa. When watching Valencia, Villa has certainly been a footballer of highest class. Villa has been a prolific goal scorer in La Liga as well as with the Spanish National Team.
No doubt exists Villa would be instantly one of the most accomplished goal scorers in the Premier League. But would he have have similar trouble adjusting to the English game that other strikers who have moved from the continent have had? Villa is just the latest big name European footballer to be linked with City for the January transfer window.
With City teetering dangerously close to the relegation zone, should the club spend January trying to poach player from within England to try and finish mid table, and then pursue continental targets in the Summer?
My thinking is while City needs some more firepower desperately, it would be prudent for Mark Hughes to focus on domestic targets in January, otherwise City could become the highest payroll club ever to be relegated.
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Bayern Munich vs Manchester City – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Manchester City in April: Next six Premier League fixtures
- Arsenal vs Manchester City Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Manchester City vs Arsenal Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups