City have met Scunthorpe just five times with the blues coming out on top on each occasion.
The two teams first met in the old second division at Maine Road on Boxing Day 1963 when the blues thrashed the visitors 8-1 with two hat-tricks being scored. A crowd of just over 26,000 witnessed this clash. Just two days later, the blues travelled to Scunthorpe where they completed a league double by winning 4-2.
Those meetings were the only league clashes between the two, with the other three being in cup competitions. In 1974, the blues met Scunthorpe at Maine Road in the League Cup second round where the blues comprehensively beat their opponents 6-0, Colin Bell grabbing a hat-trick.
There would then be a wait of 32 years before the teams would meet again. This time it was at Eastlands in the FA Cup and despite going behind, City came back with Robbie Fowler’s only hat-trick for City as the blues won through 3-1. The last meeting was in October 2009 when City won 5-1 to secure a place in the League Cup quarter final against Arsenal.
From the five meetings, four have been at City while just the one has been at Scunthorpe. Sunday’s game will be the first cup tie played there.
In total, City have scored 26 goals to Scunthorpe’s 5, with 22 being scored at home.
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Wanda Metropolitano Tensions to Keep Manchester City on Their Toes Ahead of FA Cup weekend
- Manchester City April 2022 Preview: Liverpool doubleheader & UCL quarter-finals highlighting high-octane month
- Pep Guardiola Deems Everton Win ‘Important’ as Man City Survive VAR Drama
- Manchester City vs Brentford: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups