Manchester City center back John Stones was exceptional on his return to the team’s starting lineup against Olympiakos.
Partnering with Ruben Dias, the defensive duo achieved a shutout against the Greek champions.
The English defender had 68 touches in the whole game. He made 48 successful passes at a success percentage of 84%. He won all of his 3 aerial battles and made 2 crucial interceptions.
Stones was alert and snuffed out the Olympiakos attackers with ease. He won his solitary dribble easily and made 1 successful tackle. Stones also made 2 crucial interceptions and 3 clearances.
He was not afraid to saunter forward when Man City were in possession. Showing his skills with the feet, Stones also made 2 long passes and created a chance for the Citizens.
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola was quick to shower praise on Stones.
Speaking after the game, he said:
“Our central defenders were outstanding. A big compliment for John Stones because it is not easy after a long time and with Ruben Dias alongside – they make an incredible couple.”
- Match Preview: Manchester City vs Crystal Palace
- Match Review: Manchester City 1-0 Brighton Hove Albion
- Match Preview: Manchester City vs Brighton Hove Albion
- The revival of John Stones at Manchester City
- Guardiola offers Aguero update after the Argentine is forced to self-isolate
- City Football Group name Club Bolivar as first Partner Club
- Guardiola personally contacts Real Madrid superstar asking him to join Manchester City
- City make a formal approach for David Alaba
- Man City face a tough battle against Southampton at the St. Mary’s
- Here is why Man City should move for Lautaro Martinez