Manchester City center back John Stones was exceptional on his return to the team’s starting lineup against Olympiakos.
Partnering with Ruben Dias, the defensive duo achieved a shutout against the Greek champions.
The English defender had 68 touches in the whole game. He made 48 successful passes at a success percentage of 84%. He won all of his 3 aerial battles and made 2 crucial interceptions.
Stones was alert and snuffed out the Olympiakos attackers with ease. He won his solitary dribble easily and made 1 successful tackle. Stones also made 2 crucial interceptions and 3 clearances.
He was not afraid to saunter forward when Man City were in possession. Showing his skills with the feet, Stones also made 2 long passes and created a chance for the Citizens.
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola was quick to shower praise on Stones.
Speaking after the game, he said:
“Our central defenders were outstanding. A big compliment for John Stones because it is not easy after a long time and with Ruben Dias alongside – they make an incredible couple.”
- Preview: Copenhagen vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Huddersfield Town –Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Club World Cup final: Manchester City vs Fluminense Preview, Prediction & Team News
- Preview: Urawa Red Diamonds vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups