Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is urging the supporters not to bait former striker Emmanuel Adebayor when the two teams clash on Saturday.
The taunts of the Arsenal supporters are believed to have contributed to Adebayor’s snap decision to celebrate his goal against his former club in September in front of the visiting supporters and Wenger has urged Gunners fans to support his team.
“We don’t want the crowd to get on Adebayor’s back, sais Wenger. “We want our crowd to support the team because, in a big game, that is what you want.”
City manager Roberto Mancini is aware of the incident during the game, although he wasn’t in charge at the time and admits Adebayor made a mistake, but wants to concentrate on beating Arsenal. “Tomorrow it is important he only concentrates on City because Emmanuel is important to us when he is doing that. If he scores again, I will be happy but it is important we don’t have another situation like the first one.”
The game will be vital to both sides as Arsenal will be pushing for the win to boost their rapidly fading title chance but City are equally desperate for the points to keep the gap between themselves and Liverpool and Villa, while attempting to overcome Spurs in fourth.
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- How Manchester City will fare in the 2023-24 Champions League
- Manchester City enquire about Florian Wirtz after Kevin de Bruyne injury
- Man City in July: Three pre-season friendlies as Guardiola looks to build on their success last term
- Will Erling Haaland stay long enough to beat Sergio Aguero’s record at Man City?