For all the active discussion of how intense the Manchester Derby is, it is the third top flight club from Greater Manchester that has given City the greatest fits over the past five seasons. Today was no different, as Pablo Zabeletta’s sending off for a reckless foul after a strange yellow in the first half, made a draw the best City could hope for.
The Blues still have not won in Wigan since the local club was promoted from the old First Division after the 2004-05 season. Some of City’s worst performances under Stuart Pearce were against Wigan, both home and away. While today’s match was even on the balance of play, as is the norm, the Blues performed significantly worse than they normally do against other opponents.
I’ll have more postmatch thoughts later.
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Bayern Munich vs Manchester City – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Manchester City in April: Next six Premier League fixtures
- Arsenal vs Manchester City Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Manchester City vs Arsenal Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups