For all the active discussion of how intense the Manchester Derby is, it is the third top flight club from Greater Manchester that has given City the greatest fits over the past five seasons. Today was no different, as Pablo Zabeletta’s sending off for a reckless foul after a strange yellow in the first half, made a draw the best City could hope for.
The Blues still have not won in Wigan since the local club was promoted from the old First Division after the 2004-05 season. Some of City’s worst performances under Stuart Pearce were against Wigan, both home and away. While today’s match was even on the balance of play, as is the norm, the Blues performed significantly worse than they normally do against other opponents.
I’ll have more postmatch thoughts later.
- Wanda Metropolitano Tensions to Keep Manchester City on Their Toes Ahead of FA Cup weekend
- Manchester City April 2022 Preview: Liverpool doubleheader & UCL quarter-finals highlighting high-octane month
- Pep Guardiola Deems Everton Win ‘Important’ as Man City Survive VAR Drama
- Manchester City vs Brentford: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Southampton vs Manchester City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups