The World Cup finally got under way in South Africa with the host nation facing the might of Mexico.
The Mexican’s dominated the game but failed to turn their dominance into goals but they did have a goal disallowed in the first half. So much dominance from Mexico, it was inevitable that South Africa would take the lead. Siphiwe Tshabalala was brilliantly released and he hit a left foot shot that flew past Perez in the Mexico goal.
That raised an already electric atmosphere but Mexico spoiled the party with just 11 minutes remaining. Rafeal Marquez controlled a cross from Andres Guardado and rifled home to ensure Mexico a point.
In the other game, France managed a goal-less bore, sorry draw with Uruguay but the game did see the tournament’s first red card. Unfortunately it was not shown to Thierry HenCheat but to Uruguay’s Nicolas Lodeiro, who was sent off for a second bookable offence.
So all square in group A after the opening games and Saturday sees three games played. First up is South Korea v Greece, followed by Carlos’ Argentina’s meeting with Nigeria before the big game for England fans against the mighty USA.
- Preview: Copenhagen vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Huddersfield Town –Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Club World Cup final: Manchester City vs Fluminense Preview, Prediction & Team News
- Preview: Urawa Red Diamonds vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Liverpool – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups