Former Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta gave his views on the potential blockbuster transfer of Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi to City.
Speaking about this, he said: “I never thought he would be in a final year of his contract at Barcelona. The team is not playing well and seems that he is not enjoying his football, he’s not happy, and we will see what happens with Messi at the end of the season”.
“He has a close friend in Sergio Aguero at Man City and has worked with Pep Guardiola at Barcelona before, so they know each other. Some of the people on the board also know Messi”.
“If Messi decides that he wants to leave Barcelona, that he wants to go and play in a different league, in a different country, of course Man City would be one of them”.
Zabaleta is of the opinion that Messi is perfectly suited to a move to Man City. He also says that the Barca superstar is not enjoying football in Spain and may need to move to England to regain his love for the sport.
Messi’s reunion with Pep Guardiola and the possibility of a linkup with Sergio Aguero is the stuff of dreams for any City fan.
City is confident of their position as a frontrunner for the signature of Lionel Messi. He is in the last year of his contract in Catalonia. Though, there has been a lot of his departure, Messi can still renew his contract at the club.
City may test Barcelona’s resolve with an appropriate offer in January. However, a free transfer next summer seems more plausible.
- Match Preview: Manchester City vs Crystal Palace
- Match Review: Manchester City 1-0 Brighton Hove Albion
- Match Preview: Manchester City vs Brighton Hove Albion
- The revival of John Stones at Manchester City
- Guardiola offers Aguero update after the Argentine is forced to self-isolate
- City Football Group name Club Bolivar as first Partner Club
- Guardiola personally contacts Real Madrid superstar asking him to join Manchester City
- City make a formal approach for David Alaba
- Man City face a tough battle against Southampton at the St. Mary’s
- Here is why Man City should move for Lautaro Martinez